Friday, June 6, 2008

June 6, 2008: Consultation Day

I saw the doctor this morning. The hospital stay is 1-2 nights, depending on how I feel following surgery. Risks of surgery, infection and eventual failure of the joint, but he also said he could last me the rest of my life because I am fairly young to have this procuedure.The surgery is often done under a spinal, something I probably can't/don't have because of my platelets (I'd rather be out anyway). I have to be tested closer to the date of the surgery to see if I am sensitive to the nickel in part of the prostheses. If I am (and expect to be), he'll find another one and test me for that one too. He doesn't require PT beforehand. After, maybe 12-16 sessions of PT. My range of motion may stay or the same or be slightly less (it was 119 degrees, I believe, today). There is no gender specific replacement and actually the gender specific total knee replacement is a marketing hype-the company just added more sizes to their products. He's been doing total knee replacements for about 30 years, the partial for about 10 (I think).My average platelet count is fine for the surgery but he'll be talking to the hematologist (whom I see in about 2.5 weeks and will mention and discuss everything with him then). I can wait until the fall. I just have to contact the practice's surgery coordinator 4-6 weeks prior to when I want it and that's when I'll have the allergy testing. The surgery itself takes 1 to 1.5 hours unless, I would assume, there are unforeseen issues.
I am thinking about the 1st week of October sounding good for surgery but that may change if it starts being really bad again (which it probably will when Tuesday's cortisone shot wears out!).

No comments: