Thursday, June 5, 2008

June 5, 2008: The questions

I've gotten my list together of questions for Dr. Schweitzer tomorrow. I've also printed up a copy of my platelet count document. Here are my questions:

Questions for Friday doctor’s appointment:


Would you agree, looking at my records, both the MRI scan records and surgical notes, with Dr. Gray that I am a good candidate for a partial knee replacement?
Is knee resurfacing an option? I read a little bit about it and am not sure if this is even possible.

How long have you been doing partial knee replacement?

How many have you performed in the last year?

Have you ever performed this surgery on someone with a bleeding disorder and how would that disorder be dealt with for the surgery and can you anticipate extra problems with this for the surgery? [Platelet count document]

Is there a woman’s partial knee replacement as there is for total knee replacements?

How long is the surgery?

How long is the hospital stay, on average?

How long is the recovery on average?

What pain management is used immediately following the procedure? I can’t have an epidural unless my platelet count is high enough (to be determined by Dr. Abrams).

Is an attempt made to preserve as much bone as possible?

What do you use if the patient (me) has a known sensitivity to nickel?

Is pre surgical exercises or PT to strengthen quadriceps recommended prior to the surgery?

What does the post-replacement rehab consist of?

Is it possible to schedule the surgery for the fall? Not really prepared to do it during the summer as I feel like I just had surgery (in February) and had had it in October as well?

No comments: