Monday, June 23, 2008

June 23, 2008: Hematologist appointment

I had a 9AM appointment with my hematologist today and I didn't leave the hospital until 10:30! I mainly waited and waited. When I finally got to go into the patients' area, I was sent to an infusion room as all the regular rooms (the non-oncology) I go to were occupied. So the nurse drew my blood, went through everything there. Once she was done, she opened the curtain and there was a lady in the next chair getting chemotherapy. She and I talked a little. She has pancreatic cancer. Then I finally was moved to a regular one where I had time to read about 5 magazines before the doctor came in. He is fine with the 50,000 count that the knee replacement suggested was the minimum safe count. I told him about the spinal and he agreed about not having it (he said he wouldn't have it) and said I should sleep through it. Count was 72,000 (I think)--in the 70s which he said was my norm so there was no problem with that, and he reiterated I am Rh+ positive so I could have WinRho if I needed to boost the count. I have to go back 1 week before the surgery for a count and from the count, he'll decide whether or not to treat me, if necessary, and if necessary, with what. That would be decided then.

No comments: