Wednesday, February 24, 2010

Wednesday Feb. 24, 2010: More progress

More progress moving toward surgery day, which is 8 weeks from today. I got a call from the hosptial confirming my MRI scan for FRiday morning, regardless of the weather (which isn't supposed to be very good). A bit nervous due to always having had open MRIs for all my other scans. This one, required for my custom implant, has to be a closed machine. I know my head will be out but I hope it's enough that I can breathe. The woman I spoke to suggested maybe an Ativan (something I never took until last week when I tried it once to see if it worked for my upcoming plane ride) but I rejected it, knowing how knocked out and for how long it knocked me out when I tried it.
Then in the mail came a letter from the hospital comfirming my joint replacement class. It mentioned scheduling an appointment with a nurse and anesthesologist prior to surgery, if desired. I thought that had been included in the class, but apparently not. So I had to call the ortho office which got me an appointment with them right after the class. With my PKR, I had told the anesthesiologist in the holding area that my hematologist said I should have general rather than spinal anesthesia due to my low platelet count. Since I don't remember anything after being given a femoral block and sedative, I don't know if I consented to the spinal during the period I have no memory of. I don't remember the OR at all. As far as I know, I ended up with a spinal anyway, so I want to get things cleared up beforehand.

No comments: